Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Getting Antsy

Well, I am sitting here in my apartment bored out of my mind. I can't really pack any more because what is left to pack we still want to use in the upcoming week. And yet, my apartment is a wreck. There is nothing like moving to make your living space cluttered. Stuff is everywhere. Things that had a place only yesterday have somehow found a way to be sitting on my coffee table, the floor, the couch, the table, everywhere, not belonging anywhere. Pictures that should be hung are not on the walls and yet not boxed either because we don't have a box to accommodate them. And then there is all that stuff that you use every now and then but aren't sure if you should bother to pack it or just throw it away and buy more when you actually need it again. I am currently staring at two Ziploc bags of pens. Who needs two, not one but two, bags of half used pens. So I ask, are these pens worth the effort to pack, move, and unpack? Should I waste them but throwing them in the garbage? It isn't like pens are so expensive that I can't afford to replace a few pens.

(the infamous pens and overwhelming clutter)



But it isn't really about the pens. The pens are just bugging me because I want to not have to look at them anymore. What I really want is just to be moved. I want to be in New York, at the fabulous gay bar in Chelsea Miles and I went to before our friend's show. I want to be out. Not here in Seattle. As much as I love Seattle I could not be more bored with this city. I feel like I have done everything there is to do. Which could not be farther from the truth but there it is.

I hate moving but oh to I love un-packing. I love finding a place for everything during that time where you don't have any clutter. The mail has not piled up on the table and there aren't Coke caps sitting around waiting for Miles to do whatever it is he has to do to get the coke rewards points before he can throw them away.

Tangent: Miles is making me Margaritas...because I just really need one. And NO, I am not an alcoholic but, this move might drive me to become one. I think he just ruined a spatula by dropping it into the blender.

Hannah's Margaritas Recipe:
  • One container of Frozen Limeade Concentrate

  • Tequila

  • Ice

Blend and drink. Don't let Miles ad the Tequila if you want to remember the night.

(Miles making margaritas)


Ok...back to my bitter diatribe on moving and the wonders of it all. I am starting to think there are a lot of things we can live without. I mean, who really needs a spice rack? Really. Would I die without a spice rack? Because I really don't want to pack it and move it 3000 miles.

Miles just said he was going to help this time [with the packing]. That is great but the best part is that he followed it up with "for the first time ever." Do you have any idea how many times we have moved? At my work we did this get to know you activity where we had to get in line in order of number of siblings, followed by number of places we have lived. In both cases I was at the high end of the line. I work with people twice my age. I should not have moved more times then an 50 year old. I am 22 and I have moved 9 times in 5 years...we are about to make that 10 times. My mom has dedicated 2 pages of her address book to me because she has to change the listing every 6 months or so. You would think I would have moving down to a science. Not so the case. I guess one benefit is that we leave with less stuff every time...so, until now, it has been getting easier.


BTW...does anyone want a coffee table, because I am looking to get rid of one?

2 comments:

Dan said...

Yes, I am well aware of how many times you have moved!

Margie said...

Haha, poor Dan. I love your bit about the spice rack. We ditched ours because it took a lot of space up. =o)