Sunday, July 22, 2007

Wedding Drama

Miles and I are moving in 3 days and we spent all day yesterday packing. I was packing some more today and doing laundry so I could pack only clean clothes when I got a phone call from my mom. She has spent the last few days at "Convention". She works for this company, Demarle, that is kind of like Pampered Chef. She has parties where she shows off the cookware and people buy the products from these parties. Long story short, she is doing really well and is in the top ten in the country for sales. Because of this the company flies her all over the place (Mexico, Texas, Arizona, Oregon, next year France) as incentives and for conferences/conventions. I am happy for her and her sucess. My dad is upset because she spends a couple nights a week out hosting parties but it is all forgotten when they get to go on vacation for free.

Back to the phone call I got this morning. My mom wants me to change my wedding date that I have had set for months now because she is going to have to miss one of these conventions for her business in order to make it to my wedding. I have my venue, photographer, DJ, caterer, cake, all the big stuff already set for this date and now my mom wants me to change it because of her convention. Did I mention that I am already under a lot of stress because I am moving from Seattle, Washington, to Hoboken, New Jersey? I can't handle this.

Even if she covered the money I would lose due to already paid deposits I don't want to change my date. My cousin is getting married 2 weeks after me and my enormous family is already threatening a family reunion. I can't get married earlier and any date later would almost guarantee a family reunion, which is more then I can take. My dad is the oldest of five children and none of his siblings have less then 4 kids so I have quite a few younger cousins that not only do I not want at my wedding but I can't afford to have at my wedding, so, I am not inviting them. My family is the type to show up at my wedding with all their un-invited kids in tow because they didn't want to get a babysitter or they assumed their kids were invited even though they weren't listed in the invite. Damn, I am going to need a bouncer at my wedding. I was really hoping it wouldn't come to this.

I can't believe she is even asking me to do this. I think it is time for a bridezilla moment. I am imagining me standing over her screaming, "Its my wedding and I will have it when and where I want and if you think your cookware is more important then you don't have to come." I am only her eldest child and daughter. Isn't she supposed to do what I want for my wedding day?

Ok...bridezilla moment over...back to the reality of trying to make everyone happy in an imperfect world.

2 comments:

Margie said...

DO NOT CHANGE YOUR WEDDING DATE! That's great that your Mom has so much success, but she can manage to miss ONE of her zillion conventions for her daughter's wedding day. GEESH! Just discussing this is silly to me. Like you said, everything is booked and that's hard to do in itself! You poor thing! I'll be your bouncer. I work out. =o)

stevenjared0853 said...

Yeah it can be extremely stressful but it is not at all feasible to change the wedding date especially when you have booked everything. We also are marrying next year at the local NYC venues and would definitely make sure that such wedding drama doesn’t happen with us.